Starting a Small Business – The Do’s and Don’ts
Starting a small business is daunting and many will make mistakes at the start of this journey (take this from someone who knows and has made these mistakes)
I’ll start with the Dont’s and then we’ll end this blog with all the Do’s that you’ll be able to put into action.
The Dont’s of Starting a Small Business
So you’ve decided to set up a small business, you’ve decided what you want to do and what you want to call it, you may have even set up your Facebook page. But here are some of the things you Don’t want to do when starting your new business.
- DON’T try and do everything all at once. One thing at a time. A business takes time to build, it’s a journey, not a race.
- DON’T use any other platform than WordPress for your blog (yes you will have to blog if you want to get more reach and make more money) and use WordPress for your website too.
- DON’T Listen to all your friends and family giving advice, you don’t have to take their advice. Nod, say thank you, but don’t get bogged down with their ideas. This is Your business, not theirs.
- DON’T set up on every social media platform and be everywhere all at once, start on 2 platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, grow those and then add in another social platform. Time in business is precious, use it wisely.
- DON’T take things personally and try not get overwhelmed by other peoples opinions.
- DON’T sacrifice friendships and relationships for your business, plan your time.
Ok, here are the DO’S In Starting Up Your Small Business
- DO have fun, it’s an exciting time, so enjoy it.
- DO have persistence, there will be bumps in the road, get over them and move on.
- PROVIDE great customer service right from the beginning, service is everything.
- DO ask for help if you need it. I didn’t and wished i had. I built my first business with 2 small children and it was exhausting.
- DO get a fabulous diary and plan the hours in your day. I use Leonie Dawsons planners, they are a firm favourite and are on their way.
- DO set professional boundaries from the start, don’t let people think you’ll answer their queries on email at 10PM. I made this mistake and i am now very strict on my boundaries. Emails ONLY get answered during business hours and most of all i try not to work too much around the children.
I do wish you every success in your small business. Starting up a small business definitely comes with it’s challenges, but it also comes with great rewards. I will never forget the first corset i sold in my first business or the first client i got in this business. There is nothing quite like the excitement of it.
Finally Good luck in your journey, wishing you lots of success in building your new career.